Saturday, October 10, 2009

Two Months 10 October 2009

Over the last few weeks my knee has felt more and more normal. I have been building my muscle by riding my bike, climbing stairs and doing my exercises, including balancing on one foot, extending my leg on the ground and then doing the same with a towel under my leg. I have also been doing stretches as much as I can. I have also gone for a 10 minute run and that didn’t cause any pain.

The only thing that doesn’t feel normal is that things still feel a little stiff inside my knee. I feel a bit of pulling the middle of my knee when I fully extend my leg and then go to bend it. I don’t feel the pulling then I bend it normally, only the first bend after a full extension, or lock of the knee.

The physio said there was no swelling left in my knee and that it is looking good, even for a LARS treatment. She said if I keep up what I am doing things will feel 100% normal in about 2 months. She suggested I do leg squats at the gym and continue riding my bike. As long as I don’t get any pains or swelling I can keep pushing harder. My goal over the next month is to get my quad to a similar size to the right leg.

3 comments:

  1. Hi,
    We are considering a LARS for my daughters revision ACL surgery as the Hamstring Graft is loose. Can you advise who your surgeon was..we are in Melbourne also.

    Thanks

    Melb Mum

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm having a revised ACL recon on Monday using LARS. bit nervous. I had an hamstring graft done 10 years ago but it was too loose. My surgeon recommended LARS given my work committments and although happy to do the recon using LARS, its all care and no responsibility and prefaces every conversation with the 'unknowns" of this type of surgery. Well its forums such as this that gives me hope. Even if it lasts 10 years, given the pace on inovation in this space I'll try something different next time. I would love to hear how people are going and I'll keep you posted om ,y rehab.
    Big O

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sure, I can tell yo the surgeon's name but I don't want to post it on here as I am not sure if he is comfortable advertising that he is the one doing the surgery. Email me on dtalbott@tullasydney.com.au and I will give you his name.

    I would be pretty confident about going with that option. The last thing you want to do is have another graft surgery that is too lose! Doing this once is hard enough!

    As for you Big-O, I wouldn't be nervous as long as you have a good doctor as it is so much easier than the way you did it the first time! I have added a few more posts as i had forgot to put the last few months on here...

    Cheers,
    Doug

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting!